Just last week one of my dear friends came “this close” to a home invasion. She and her husband have 5 little girls, one of them is still a baby. Luckily, the baby woke up and her husband was walking through the kitchen just in time to see the man with a flashlight at the window. Because her husband was awake and was seen, the man ran away. Can you imagine what could have happened if they were still asleep? After reporting the incident, they later found out that there had been 10 reported break-ins in the area where someone was coming into homes at night, stealing valuables and leaving all while the families were at home in the bed! I am so thankful that everyone is ok!
After hearing her report as well as others in my own area, I started thinking about how homes can be better protected and/or avoid intruders all together.
Here are 5 simple ways to protect your home from intruders that you can do now
- Your Exterior Matters. Make sure to have good exterior lighting including motion sensor lights. Remove tall trees or shrubs that may be blocking the view to your entrance as well.
- Avoid Glass in Doors. I’ve seen home improvement show time and time again talk about the importance of not having glass near the door knob of your door. I agree that glass is so much more beautiful, but keep in mind the safety of your home and how easy it may be for someone to smash that beautiful glass.
- Use Blinds. I love natural light just like the rest of you, but I also like to keep my privacy! Not only are blinds and curtains great for keeping the neighbors out of your business, but they are great for keeping intruders away. If they can’t see what you have, it may lower the chances of them trying to get in. Many times thieves will case a house before breaking in so that they know what is in it and when you are not home.
- Use Common Sense. Did you just buy a flat screen or computer? Don’t store the huge box by the trash waiting for pick up. You are basically advertising that you have that in your home. Make sure to break down the box and conceal it. Double check locks on your windows and doors and of course, use them.
- Invest in an Inexpensive Security System. I don’t think you need the most high tech and expensive security system in the world. As a matter of fact, the Guardzilla doesn’t require fancy set up. It is only $99 and is ready the minute you take it out of the box. If you have a smart phone and WiFi then you are good to go!
Thinking about security systems probably sounds like a daunting task. If you are anything like me you think about having to call a company, set up a meeting, pick out a plan, and have someone install it. On top of that, who knows the chunk of change you would have to pour out monthly. So, when the opportunity came up for us to try out Guardzilla I was willing to give it a try. I can honestly tell you that I had the entire system set up and running in less than 10 minutes!
Here’s How Guardzilla Works
Guardzilla works off of your WiFi signal and connects to your smart phone via a free app. The app allows you to monitor your home even when you are away via the app. You can even capture still images and store them to your phone. My favorite feature is that I can set the app to where Guardzilla automatically arms when I leave. Because it is connected to my phone, it knows when I’m no longer in range. Once your device is armed it uses a motion sensor to detect if there is an intruder. An alarm will sound and you have the intruder on a photo that is automatically snapped and stored! If you have pets there is even a setting so that they will not be triggering the alarm.
Already have a home security system? Use the Guardzilla as your baby monitor! What a cheap alternative to the pricey baby monitors.
You can purchase your own Guardzilla at Best Buy stores nationwide (and online).
Enter to Win Guardzilla and Smart Phone
From now until 2/13/15 you can enter to win a Guardzilla and Smart Phone by visiting the Guardzilla Facebook page and entering your email.
Enter to Win a $250 Best Buy Gift Card and Guardzilla
Coming Soon! From 2/16/15 until 3/13/15 you can submit your “Caught in the Act” photo on the Guardzilla Facebook page for a chance to win a $250 Best Buy gift card! Make sure to like the Facebook page so you don’t miss out.