Mango is one of those fruits that I’ve only recently started enjoying. I don’t think I had that much exposure to it early on, but I love it and love sharing it with the kids. If you are looking for a new way to try mango then you are going to love this sweet and savory mango spears recipe from Honey Bunches of Oats! The boys really enjoy them and you can always adjust it depending upon likes and dislikes. I honestly think that just about anything on a stick appeals to kids! Ok, almost anything. Here’s the super simple recipe:
SWEET AND SAVORY MANGO SPEARS RECIPE
- 1/3 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal
- 4 mangoes (I used pre-sliced Mango Spears)
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a food processor, ground cereal into a fine powder. Set aside.
- Slice each mango lengthwise into 4 equal size pieces and remove outer skin. Insert a wooden stick into one end of each mango piece (I used skewers and cut them to size).
- In a small bowl, zest the limes. Add chili powder, salt and prepared ground cereal. Stir to combine.
- Slice limes and squeeze juice over the mango pieces. Sprinkle each mango piece with the chili and cereal blend. Serve immediately.
I love the little hint of spice that these have. It’s just enough to make it interesting. Like I said before, if you are not big on spice then just eliminate the chili powder! Using the Honey Bunches of Oats as the coating gave it a simple sweet flavor and a subtle crunch. Now I’m trying to come up with other things to coat this in! I think it could be great on pineapple!