When it is cold outside I love nothing more than to be warm from the inside out! We tend to rely upon our slow cooker a ton during these months for its ease and the hearty foods that can be created. My family especially loves things that are in the Mexican realm for dinner. Ask Graham, he would take a quesadilla over a PB&J any day.
So, here is a quick and easy recipe that is a family favorite that your slow cooker is itching to cook up! Keep in mind that you can eliminate any spices that are troublesome for you or add if you like things a little more on the spicy side. Another beautiful aspect to the slow cooker is that it is virtually impossible to mess up!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 hours
Serves: Approximately 12
- 1 pound chicken, cooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce (mild red sauce)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 cup KRAFT Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese
- 7 corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Dump all of the ingredients (besides the corn tortillas,olive oil, and cheese) into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- After the 6-8 hours take a potato masher and mash up the tomatoes. This should also shred the chicken, but if you would like the pieces smaller you can shred the chicken inside the slow cooker.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rub olive oil on both sides of the corn tortillas (add salt if desired) and cut into thin strips. Place on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Just keep an eye on the tortilla strips so that you don’t burn them!
What are some of your favorite slow cooker meals?