Coffee truly is a treat for me. I enjoy it warm or cold depending upon the day. I also really enjoy having a great cup of coffee. I think that “a good cup of coffee” is all in how you prefer to drink it. Several years back I was introduced to the french press and boy was I sold on this style of coffee. It produces such a smooth flavor and the acid seems to be even lower. You can also purchase a french press for very little money. I honestly think mine was about $20 and it works great! It is the Bodum brand.
So, now you ask, how do I use that fancy little contraption?! I felt the same exact way. It truly intimidated me. But let me break it down for you step by step and you will see just how easy the entire process is plus do it like a pro!
- First you want to put on a kettle of water to boil. While you are waiting on the water to boil you can grind our coffee beans. You always want to use fresh coffee beans and grind them. If you don’t have a grinder you can have that done in most grocery stores. Here’s the trick, you need to use a coarse grind or percolator grind.
- Once your water is ready, take enough to fill the bottom of the french press, pour it in and swirl it around and dump it out. This preps the container.
- Next you need to add your grounds to the bottom of the container.
- Now, this part if my favorite (yes, I’m a big ol nerd). Slowly pour your boiling water over the grounds and fill it to about 1/4 way up. Then you are going to let it sit for 30 seconds in order for the grounds to “bloom”. Yes! They do bloom! Make sure to watch them puff up and open out. Give it just a little stir after the 30 seconds.
- Now you just need to fill it up to the brim with water. Just make sure to leave enough room to insert your lid and filter and let this sit for about 4 minutes.
- Once 4 minutes has passed, slowly push down on the plunger on top until it reaches the bottom. Now you are ready to pour and enjoy!
If you are wondering how much coffee to put in, I always put about 8 cups worth in this Bodum French Press. Of course, there are all different sizes, but for the most part, they are 8 cups. You could always make less and just fill it up with less water.
Enjoy this simple yet perfect cup of coffee!