Here is another recipe inspired by the Muffin Tin Chef cookbook. He has so many wonderful ideas that you can take an adapt if you do not necessarily have all of the right sized muffin tins. Love. This. Cookbook. You can also check him out at his blog Muffin Tin Mania.
So, here is the fun recipe that has broaden my horizon for breakfast. The boys absolutely love French Toast and this is such a fun way to mix thing up as well as add some fruit and yogurt to the middle. I think just about any fruit in the middle would be a great idea.
3 slices whole-grain bread, cut in half
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons low-fat milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cans peaches, diced
1 lemon squeezed
1/2 cup low-fat Vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Flatten bread with rolling pin until they are easily bent and shaped.
- Beat eggs, milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, vanilla extract and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Soak the bread in the egg mixture on both sides. Make sure not to leave them in too long or they may start to fall apart.
- Let the excess drip off and form a cup shape into a regular muffin tin. Bring the sides together and press down and pinch together. It is easier to do than to type!
- Bake about 14 minutes.
- Toss together peaches (or other fruit), lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Heat the fruit mixture in a skillet until the fruit has softened.
- Divide the fruit mixture into the French Toast Cups and top with the vanilla yogurt.