Even though it is less than 50 degrees and raining as I type this, we have already been full force at work in our yard and garden this year. Living in Western North Carolina is a bit like living in a land of no predominate seasons. One day you may have 80 degrees and no clouds and the next you have on your grandma’s sweater. That’s just how we roll! The boys are at an age now that they really want to help out and enjoy being outdoors. I thought it would be a great idea to help them create something they could relate to on a scale that was easy for them to manage. So, when Miracle-Gro asked me to help with a their fun and creative The Gro Project I was completely on board and ready to put my idea into action! Trust me, even if your thumb is not the greenest you will be able to handle this project. It is fun, colorful and perfect for gift giving.
DIY Dinosaur Planters
What You Need:
- 1 small bag of Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix
- A few jumbo sized plastic dinosaurs or other animals (look in the dollar bins)
- Several fun colors of outdoor spray paint
- A hen and chicks plant or other easy to grow plant
- Using your scissors, cut a hole in the top of the dinosaur that is large enough to put a small plant in.
- Turn the dinosaur upside down and poke one hole in the belly for water to drain.
- Spray paint your dinosaurs different bright colors and let them dry completely.
- Fill the dinosaur with Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix 3/4 of the way to the top of the hole.
- Pack your plants in and arrange until you like what you see.
- Water your plants and place them on window sills or inside window boxes for fun “jungle-like” scenery.
Your kids will enjoy helping you with this project, just make sure mom or dad does the cutting as it can be a tough job depending upon how sturdy your dinosaur is. I love the way these brighten up a room and bring a warm feel even to a lively little boy’s room. What a great DIY gift idea this would be for all of those end of the year teacher gifts. Now we are inspired to find planters in the everyday items around us. What’s next? Maybe some of those rusty old trucks from the sandbox? Bring on the spray paint and potting mix and we are good to go!
Now in order to get you Gro-ing, one lucky Go Graham Go reader will win a $250 gift card to help you create a fun Gro-Something project! Here’s How to Win:
a Rafflecopter giveaway