This holiday season, Shout® is encouraging families to seize the moment, get a little dirty and live life out loud without the fear of making a mess. In light of this, I’d like to share one of my favorite holiday traditions – making cinnamon rolls!
A Christmas morning before having kids looked a lot like Matthew and I sleeping in as late as possible then having a lazy afternoon in front of the fire with some store bought cinnamon rolls. We would leisurely open gifts and then watch movies the rest of the day. Isn’t it interesting how quickly that life is gone once kids enter the picture? I wouldn’t trade it for the world! Now when we wake up, I start working on fresh cinnamon rolls from scratch, the boys bound out of bed with their messy hair, holiday jammies and excited faces before the rooster even thinks about opening an eye! Wrapping paper starts flying before we can get the fire lit and there’s no time for relaxing. There are batteries to be opened and used and multitudes of parts and pieces to be put together. The reality is that this life is ten times more exciting (and messy) than the previous one.
Once the kids are somewhat settled with their new treasures we can focus on eating those delicious cinnamon rolls! They are messy but oh-so-good to eat. I like to let the kids help me get the process started the night before. We end up with flour quite literally in every nook and cranny of the kitchen. Most times our black dog is covered in white flour by the time all of the mixing is done! Graham uses his pants and shirt as a napkin and Davis just full on sticks his hand into the goo! The last time I made these I told Matthew that I kept finding cream cheese on myself. Oh well, they are good. Here is our recipe for perfect Christmas Morning Cinnamon Rolls as well as a recipe to keep clean on the go!
Christmas Morning Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 packages of active dry yeast
- 1 and 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- Add warm water, 1/3 cup of sugar and active dry yeast to bowl mix and let sit for 5-10 minutes to dissolve the yeast.
- Stir in salt and about 2 cups of flour – beat mixture. Add oil and eggs and beat again.
- Stir in remaining flour but only use about 1/2 to 1 cup at a time making sure to beat well each time.
- Spread flour over a flat surface and knead the dough well (3-5 minutes).
- Coat a bowl with oil and place dough inside making sure to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, place in the microwave or oven (not turned on of course) and allow dough to rise for 40 minutes.
- While the dough rises you can mix together 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar and the 3 tablespoons of cinnamon.
- Roll dough out into a flat rectangle. Spread the sugar mixture on top evenly; you will have some leftover.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut about 8-12 long strips and roll them up into your cinnamon roll shapes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place the remaining sugar mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Press the rolls down into the pan and close together. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Top with cream cheese frosting (recipe below).
Cream Cheese Cinnamon Roll Frosting Recipe
- 1/4 block of an 8 0z cream cheese, softened
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- a dash of salt
- Beat together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, milk and salt.
- Slowly add in the confectioners sugar until you reach a consistency to your liking.
- Spread on your yummy cinnamon rolls and enjoy!
Keeping Clean on the Go!
We continue to find ways to live life out loud as we reexamine our commitment to reprogramming our lives with Shout®. What better time to get messy than the holidays! Baking is only one example; the craft projects could have you covered in glitter and glue for days. You’ve heard me say it before, but these are just a few of the reasons I keep the Shout® Wipes on hand at all times. They are in my purse and ready for the gravy, ketchup or sugary goodness that spills onto our clothes. It has washed out a few chocolate stains as well as glitter glue. You can participate in this commitment to Reprogram America for Fun with Shout® on their Facebook page. Shout® is asking you to take another look at how you live your day to day lives with their Reprogramming America for Fun App. A fun video incorporates your pictures and name in order to motivate you to live life out loud! It is a lot of fun and worth sharing with your friends. You can also submit photos of yourself and your family seizing the moment!
Olympic Athlete Jennie Finch’s Tip for Reprogramming Your Daily Routine:
Child-Friendly Baking Projects - Children love to help out in the kitchen and decorate cookies, cupcakes – or anything sweet! Use food coloring to make different colored frostings and go to town with sprinkles galore! As an added bonus – children can steal a few licks of frosting while helping out mom. Don’t worry about the mess; Shout® has you covered with an arsenal of stain-lifting products.
Now, in order to get crafty with your kids, Shout® would like to provide one Go Graham Go reader with a Crafty Shout® Prize Pack valued at $100 which includes:
Shout® Trigger & Wipes
Several Fun Craft Supplies
Book to Create Unique Snowflakes
Here’s How to Win:
1. Go to the Shout® Reprogramming America Facebook app (http://on.fb.me/PIsrLv) and click on the Get Reprogrammed button to create your own custom “Reprogramming America for Fun” video. Then leave a comment on this blog post answering the question, “What changes will you make to seize the moment (even if it means getting messy) and live life out loud?”
This giveaway ends 12/17 at 5pm PT.
Please see Official Rules.